Analysis over time

The documentation page about transformations says:
It’s agile . When you modify your views, the changes take place immediately, for all future and past data, with no need to re-run the process over and over again. You can iterate quickly and get the results you need in seconds.

If you run a report this year that shows data from each of the past 5 years, will those past 4 years still match the report you ran last year? Or is there a chance that changes in transformations will lead to slightly different counts or summaries?

Hi there

Before I answer, I would like to make it clear that there isn’t an answer that will always be correct for this question since the way you use the transformations and tables can use different logics that will lead to different results for this question.

In most cases, I would say that the answer is that there is a change that the changes in transformations will lead to slightly different results.

Example:
I ran a report in 01-2019 that showed be the amount of customers I had each month.
This report uses a specific transformation to understand who is a customer and who isn’t.
If I would run the same report for the same timeframe and the transformation would be unchanged, the result will be exactly the same.
But if the transformation was changed, the results could be different.

Please tell me if this answers your question :slight_smile:

It does answer the question, but leads to the next one: Where would I find documentation on the transformations Panoply has applied, and notification when it changes those transformations?

Panoply does not create transformations for you, the transformations I referenced are transformations that you created in your Panoply data warehouse or in an external BI tool.

1 Like